Friday, September 27, 2013

Complexities in the Gleick Reading: 9-27-2013

Prompt: What is the most complex or difficult about the reading's references to Boole, Russell, Gödel, Maxwell, and others? Why is it challenging? What words or concepts in particular are problematic? I pose these questions because I know that difficulty is often a way in or point of access: if you figure out what's difficult about a text, you've figured out its problem.

I enjoy figuring out how things work. I enjoy tinkering with machines to make them work better, or at least work again if they are already broken or problematic. I think part of being a tinkerer is to recognize what you are capable of, and what is "over your head". For example, I do not completely understand how capacitors on a circuit board work. To me, they are "instant-discharge batteries that have some magic chemicals inside them that hold and discharge electricity". I could not build you a new capacitor. However, I understand enough about them to know what they do, generally how they work, how to identify a bad one, and, most importantly, how to be safe around them. 

When Gleick starts explaining the mathematical formulas for the basic units of meaning, I admit that that information is over my head. I have no idea how that equation works. I proved way back in grammar school that my head was not designed to hold or process numbers and equations. I can't do math. However, that doesn't mean I disregard it. I may not fully understand how Hartley's equation works, nor do I understand how Hartley arrived at that equation. However, I do understand that Hartley's equation works, and I understand what it does, much like that capacitor on the circuit board. I couldn't build you a similar equation, but, if trained, I could learn to apply the current one. 

When it comes to tinkering, I've found that I learn best by doing. I came to understand how computers work by removing viruses and messing around in my Windows registry. I came to understand how basic programming is done by taking a Python coding class. Was I good at coding? No. Did that class help me understand the concept of coding? Yes. I learned about bandwidths, audio feedback, and over-modulation from working sound crew at church and other live events, and from converting old tapes to mp3 for friends. I learned about the difference between AC and DC electricity, short circuits, and voltage vs. amperage, along with numerous other handy skills, from my model railroading hobby. I don't know all the equations relating to voltage and amperage, but I do understand how to two work, and how they're related to each other. I guess you could say I have a practical understanding of the world around me, rather than an abstract one.

As the old saying goes. Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from having bad judgement. I've messed up a fair amount of projects, but each experience has led me to (in most cases) do better on the next project. Part of understanding is recognizing what you will never quite "get", and getting a "good enough grip" on that material so as to be able to apply your knowledge practically.


2 comments:

  1. I can agree with your idea of having a tinkering mind while trying to understand certain subjects.

    I've noticed that I tend to appreciate the time it takes for these minds to think of new revelations that people like Ada Lovelace and Claude Shannon, experience.

    It's not that I love math, but I find it impressive when someone knows their subject and can bring about a revolutionary change in the way people should/can think about it.

    I think this kind of understanding is really useful for us, as DTC majors, because we can tinker with ideas that may or may-not change the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fact that you are such a good "tinkerer" is actually awesome! So few people these days have any idea what is going on inside something and the fact that you can actually figure out the problem and work to fix it is amazing.

    You mention that "good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from having bad judgement." This is fascinating to me because it really is so true. I have never thought about it in this way before, but good judgement really only comes from learning and experiencing different situations around you. Great job!
    According to a Soc class I'm in right now, that right there is what makes a great inventor!
    It is also very impressive that you understand code. I, too, have taken a class where coding is involved a little bit, so I do know how to... Sort of... But understanding it is something totally different!

    ReplyDelete