Tuesday, February 18, 2014

"Embodiment": DTC 475 Blog #5


"For this weeks blog I want you to reflect on 'what does embodiment mean'. Hawthorn shows us how the Internet has been used to exploit women and children in the global prostitution industry and it has in turn shaped how the internet is structured, "although the Internet offers open communication to people throughout the world, it should not be permitted to be dominated and controlled by men's interests..." How do our expectations of the Internet facilitate men's desires? What does this say about men's desires and expectations of 'real' (i.e. material) women? What does this say about power reasons in society?"

em·body

transitive verb \im-ˈbä-dē\
: to represent (something) in a clear and obvious way : to be a symbol or example of (something)
: to include (something) as a part or feature

"Embodiment"

The Internet is great” 'twas said.
No one knows what paths you tread”
No one knows where you log on
Or who are, 'what hat you don'”
Trust me, you've nought to dread”

So I logged on so I could see
what my options were to “broadcast me”
I soon found out that I could start
a fanbase for me, I was off the charts
And I had all my privacy

And when social media was all the craze
Getting Facebook likes, well, I had my ways
And dating sites allowed me to mingle
(I wondered how much longer I'd be single)
Ah yes, those were the glory daze (sic)

But I found, with no one watching
Websites for gazing upon debauching
And vigor for vice awakened within
I thought to myself “could this be a sin?”
But found myself ever more wanting

And so it went on, for day after day
I must admit, it didn't feel “okay
But no one knew . . . right?
I was completely out of sight!
And then I learned it always works that way

For I read a story in the news
About a girl who had to choose
When kidnapped one night
Faced a hellish plight
Of whether to die or face endless abuse

And so she was sold, and suffered long
at the hands of thugs, who did her wrong
sold over again, for a man to posses
so he could regain his “manliness”
And then sold again, to another she'd belong.

And all this went on, for year upon year
How much sadness? How many shed tears?
And all hidden in obscurity
For the sake of patrons' privacy
All because she “had a nice rear?”

I recoiled in sadness, and in grief and in pain
I realized that all I'd ever sought to gain
all my wants, my desires, my demands, my druthers
was forcefully dredged from the life of another
And so I sat there, to weep in the rain.

My happiness found in the shackles of a fellow
My entertainment revealed to be rotten and hollow
I sat there and pondered “what path shall I follow?”

Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed.” John 3:20


-- Drew Black, 2014.





1 comment:

  1. Wow! Its not often that I'm stopped in my tracks (pun for you), but wonderful poem to interface analysis, narrative, and emotion.
    j

    ReplyDelete